2 Day Care and Control Course
Positive Handling with Breakaway Skills
Long-Format Care and Control Course for More Complex Risks
Our team deliver longer-format Care and Control courses of 2 or 3 days. These courses are designed to enable staff to improve their own personal safety and self-protection skills in addition to the holding skills taught on the 'orthodox' Positive Handling course. Specialist modules are taught which enable staff to deal professionally with high-risk challenging behaviour from children with:
- special educational needs or difficulties
- emotional or behavioural difficulties
- autistic spectrum disorder
Care and Control courses begin with a discussion of behavioural mapping (using the Kaplan/Wheeler model as a starting point) and then move towards values-based verbalisation skills. These templates are useful for dealing with different scenarios which arise (moving past resistance, gaining cooperation, exploring feelings, dealing with verbal aggression and more).
We then work with proxemics (position and body language for safety) and naturally introduce last-resort Care and Control holding skills or disengagement methods which may be appropriate for different circumstances.
- Managing Space Moving to Safety
- Approach and Positioning
- Prompting and Escorting - Leading from the Front
- Prompting and Escorting - Escorting from the Back
The self-protection methods taught in our Care and Control course focus on instinctive protection based on the startle reflex and focus on:
- Survival from the hair grab and hair pull
- Survival from impacts to the head
- Survival from body grabs
- Survival from clothing/limb grabs
- Survival from throat grab
- Survival from the rear choke-hold
The holding and physical control methods taught are used as part of a hierarchy of control to create safety in situations where there is a serious risk of harm.
- Holding when Standing, Seated, Kneeling.
- Managing Flexion and Extension in the arms when holding.
- Dealing with Head Behaviours (butting)
- Dealing with Head Behaviours (bashing)
- Dealing with Spitting Behaviours
- Dealing with Kicking Behaviours
- Dealing with Dropping
Examples of services who have booked this Conflict Care and Control training from us in the past are:
- Alternative Provision Schools (PRUs)
- Special Schools
- Autism and Learning Disability-specific units
- Care homes for looked-after young people
- Services who look after children with Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties
- Services for young people leaving care (supported housing)
- Respite services for young people with Learning Disabilities or Autism
For more information about these Care and Control courses please visit the following Dynamis group website pages:
Enter your text here...